Tuesday, March 27, 2012

For the rest of spring break I went to Nevada and a place called Lytle Ranch in Utah.  I was full of all sorts of adventures!!!

We were searching for a place called Quail Springs for my dad to find the frogs he wanted to record, (Rana anca).  We couldn't find it the first day, but there was a beautiful sunset that night.


The next day we hiked into this canyon to the very bottom.  Doesn't look like much, but...


There was the wonderful little spring at the bottom.  It was sooo gorgeous.  This picture doesn't do it any justice.


While we were sitting there a female coopers hawk lands right in front of us.  Isn't she pretty?


This is the little guy we were looking for.  My dad ended up recording them late that night.


Isn't he cute?  I think he was just posing for a picture. 


This jack rabbit got so close to me.  I caught a picture of it mid stride. 


Many of you may have heard that I had a fun little helicopter ride.  Well this is the view from where the helicopter picked us up.  Desolate right?  I suppose I'll retail the helicopter story briefly on here.  We got our truck stuck in a wash.  We tried everything to free it.  The next day after a long hike my dad was able to get phone service and call the police.  They gave him the run around before my dad gave up and called my mom to have her call for him (his phone was dying).  A few hours later we are sitting on a hill (the one shown in the picture) when a helicopter flies by and lands right next to us. 


A search and rescue team comes out and loads us up.  I was in the seat that doesn't have a door or wall on it (refer to picture).  They took us to their head quarters.  Then a BLM ranger drove us back to our car and pulled us out.  In the end it didn't cost us a penny and it was more fun than scary. 


 Later that day we drove back to Utah and to Lytle Ranch.  This place had a toad my dad wanted to record called Bufo Microscaphus.

This is a little bird I took a picture of.  It's called a Verdan.


Just some pretty blossoms.


A dead hanging pomegranate. 


I caught this little crawfish in the pond there.  


It was a fun trip!  We got the frogs and toads recorded.  All the while managing to have many adventures!

No comments: